Multiple children hospitalised and ‘every ambulance in use’ after gas leak at nursery

Several children have been hospitalised after a carbon monoxide leak poisoned them at a daycare in Pennsylvania, US.

Early reports claim that every ambulance in Allentown rushed to Happy Smiles Learning Center after the leak was discovered.

The alarm was first raised when one child was found unconscious at the daycare and a concerned witness called 911 early on Tuesday morning (October 11).

When firefighters and emergency medical personnel arrived on the scene, monitors they were carrying alerted them to the deadly carbon monoxide leak, Captain John Christopher of the fire department said.

The entire centre had to be evacuated as a result of the poisonous gas leak and a massive emergency response ensued after multiple people showed symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, which can be fatal.

Multiple kids were removed from the daycare on stretchers and taken in ambulances to four hospitals in the surrounding area – however, several children were left waiting longer to be taken for treatment due to the number of victims affected.

A total of 26 people, including children and teaching assistants, have been transferred to the nearby hospitals.

All of them are reportedly in stable condition.